Wisconsin's Civil War Memorials
Weyauwega Cavalry and Infantry Memorials

The monument pictured below, left is a 1931 cavalry monument from Weyauwega, Wisconsin. The monument was originally located on the town square on the corners of Main and Mill Streets. Years ago a driver smashed into the monument so it was moved two blocks south to 206 South Mill St. in Weyauwega.

The following excerpt from "History of Waupaca County" by John Ware describes the Civil War infantry memorial at right:

"The soldiers monument was dedicated on July 4, 1901 by the Weyauwega G.A.R. Post No. 180, citizens of the area, and Edward Scofield, ex-govenor. The monument ôstands on a mound two feet high and faced with dressing stone. The base and shaft are of Barre granite. The statue of bronze, which surmounts the cylindrical shaft, is more than life size and represents a private soldier, at attention, with his rifle resting on the ground ready for action."

Photos and information submitted by Kim Heltemes.
Weyauwega Civil War cavalry monument Weyauwega Civil War infantry monument


divider line

Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War
Department of Wisconsin

SUVCW Logo

Comments to

Last Updated: