Wisconsin's Civil War Memorials
Lincoln statue, Burlington

The city of Burlington received this statue of a meditative Lincoln from local dentist Dr. Francis W. Meinhardt in 1913. The statue is bronze, eight feet high and stands on a pedestal of Vermont granite. It represents Lincoln with bowed shoulders at the time of his second inaugural address.

The statue was created by Chicago artist George E. Ganiere (1865-1935) and the Florentine Brotherhood Foundry.

It was presented to the city to mark the reopening of a local school as Lincoln School and was dedicated October 13, 1913. The site of this monument is now the office of the Burlington Area School District at the intersection of State and Kane streets.

The city celebrated a re-dedication of the statue in May 2104.

In January 2016, the statue was toppled from its pedestal, apparently by vandals. It was undamaged, save for a few scrapes.

> Map location

Abraham Lincoln statue

divider line

Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War
Department of Wisconsin


Comments to

Last Updated: 30 January 2016